Sunday, March 24, 2013

DIY Sugar Nails

If you ask my boyfriend, he'll tell you this happens a lot. One week, I am resisting something new, the next week I am totally experimenting with it, embracing it, and loving it. Go figure.

In this case, it's textured nails. I maintain that having rough-textured nails when you meant to have smooth ones is unpleasant, but after reading that Cathy was willing to try pink sugar nails (since she's a redhead she normally avoids pink), I decided to see if adding texture to my nails would really be that bothersome.

I did not go as far as buying anything new, instead I used glitter that was already part of my makeup collection (Possibly from the 90's? Glitter doesn't go bad, right?) and the Rimmel London polish and topcoat I tried for the first time last week. (Although obviously I did not use it as a base again.)


Sugar and spice and everything nice.


The steps are fairly easy. What I did was:

1) Paint all ten nails with a satisfactory amount of polish. I used three coats of the purple to get the color saturation as I wanted.

2) Let nails dry as normal. I wouldn't have tied my shoes or done some other smudge-prone activity, but I let my nails dry around half an hour and was fine to type and open the glitter bottle and stuff.


Products used: Rimmel London 370 "Wild Orchid" and Lancome Glitter in "Hologramme"

3) Apply glitter to each nail. I tapped a pinch of glitter on to one index finger, and tapped it again onto each nail of the opposite hand. Then I repeated the process with the other hand, and kept doing so (slightly obsessively) until there was an even amount of glitter on each nail. As you can see from the picture, the glitter gets places you don't necessarily want it, but it's easy enough to brush off (or remove with a lint brush or scotch tape if you want).

4) Apply topcoat. Pretty straightforward. Two things to keep in mind are: Topcoat makes the bottom coats vulnerable to smudging and smearing and a little bit of the glitter will get stuck in the topcoat brush. In fact, though, I was pleasantly surprised about how little this happened. It was really easy to wipe the brush on a piece of paper a couple of times and get it clean again.

This is a pretty easy and on-trend DIY look. I will report back with any developments, such as the gitter or polish coming off unexpectedly, as happened last week. (You can see the bottle claims it lasts ten days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment