Sunday, March 17, 2013

Trendblending

I've already posted about nailscapes of mine that have seized on the trend of gold polish. One of my favorite trends this season is actually opaque white nails but I have not done a post on these yet because my nails are a little bit longer than ideal for this look right now and also because I've been feeling too creative to leave things be at plain white lately.


Colors!

To be honest, I am not sure that purple is really all that trendy this season. I do know that I went to a party last weekend and my two favorite manicures there were different shades of this regal color. Since I'd also been on the lookout for a base coat, I was delighted that Rimmel London had a two-for pack of a multi-tasking base/top coat and a pastel purple. Pastels are in this season but this purple actually turned out to be a little darker than I'd expected so it's hard to say whether I've really hit the mark with that one.

As usual when I get creative, I started off with something fun and could not leave well enough alone. Here is how my nails looked after applying the first two colors, which actually amounted to a base coat, two white coats, two diagonal gold coats, and a top coat.


Can't seem to get enough of this color combination.

Diagonal designs are another trend I've been grooving on but haven't put into action until today! As happened last week as well, I've found I am a little too perfectionist about this to love the results, but it seems easy enough that with some practice it will be fine. I probably had much worse results the first time I french manicured myself, which I'd guess was in about 1997.

I wore this gold-on-white mani out to get a bagel for lunch and that went well and everything, but then when I got home I decided to add some more color. I've been digging the idea of layering nail polishes lately, and since I just moved into my new house this week (!!) I have not yet unpacked significantly enough to know where the scotch tape is, which seems to be a necessary tool to create a more structured look. (I am also looking forward to finding the rest of my nail polish collection!). For now I decided to freehand another diagonal and this was the result:


The finished product

I like it because I think the color combination is good - springlike, even though it is still below freezing here and may even snow later in the week - and because in addition to exhibiting my blossoming diagonal-painting skills, it creates a pointed version of the pronounced nail moon which has also been trending this season.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! It's like Fabulous Friday for nails! The polish looks you've been doing are totally right on for what's hot right now. Everywhere I look it's *emerald*! Pastels, metallics and nude polishes are getting popular, too. Looking forward to seeing more! -amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for the positive feedback. :) The tricolored look I did this week seems to be a crowd-pleaser, so I might try it or some variation in future weeks. There are so many fun things to try, as we are aware of from our Fabulous Friday dates! xo

    ReplyDelete