Sunday, March 3, 2013

Going for the Gold

I've seen metallics, especially metallic patterns around a lot lately - gold used instead of the classic white for the tip of a french manicure, stick-on metallic patterns not only advertised by Kim Kardashian but also now apparently being sold by the likes of Essie, and also those polishes that are actually made out of metal* and come with a magnet to help users create unique patterns in the pigments on their nails.

I saw Cathy try out the whole magnetic nail design thing and, honestly, it seemed too complicated to me. Wait 'til your nails are damp: not 100% dry, but not wet; hold the magnet close to the nails, but obviously don't touch the nails with the magnet; hold it there for (what seems like) a pretty long time, without moving, etc. I don't enjoy following so many rules when I'm being creative with my nails.

On the other hand, something that I do enjoy is coupons. I recently had one for a couple of bucks off a Covergirl nail polish and I picked up number 230, Golden Opportunity, and used it to create the two mainis below.


Golden moons on an opaque white background.



Thick golden stripes on a charcoal background. I was sort of going for a "picture frame" look, 
but I drew the frame first and then painted the picture on top. Also I like the "frame" much better when it's just on the sides, to use optical illusion to elongate the nail, not make it seem weird and square and stubby.


I love the way this polish layers, giving me a way to create different looks based on how many coats I use and how thick each coat is. Even though (or maybe because?) I can be a perfectionist about symmetry and making sure my hands match each other, I find it easier to freehand like this than to use a tool like the magnet polish to introduce patterns onto my nails.

I have not tried the stick-on patters yet (although I did buy some for Kendra because the USPS does not let you mail packages containing nail polish), mostly because I like to do things on the cheap and they seem pretty expensive to me. So even Essie adding a line probably won't change my mind on this issue.

Below is a picture of the polishes I used in these pictures, in case you are interested. Also I realize I am in need of a good top coat and also maybe a good base coat, because I do a lot of things like dishes (okay maybe not a lot, but enough) and showering that mess up my nailscapes. Any suggestions, friends?


Sinful Colors 101: Snow Me White - Covergirl 230: Golden Opportunity - Color Club 968: Status Update

Edit: Twins! Olga was doing golden cuticles over super-trendy cactus green at the same time I was doing my faux picture frames yesterday. Here's a shot of her nails:


Yay! Maybe I will try a green and gold mani sometime soon.

*I did not research this statement. Please correct me if I'm wrong about how magnets work.

3 comments:

  1. I like OPI for base and top coat. I always use a base coat on my fingernails to prevent staining (massage therapist fingers have to be pristine), but not always on my toes. Always a top coat on both... lasts so much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah, the magnetic polish is super easy--

    first off, you can do the magnet part immediately, because they dry pretty quickly. Since they're all one-coats, if you screw up, it's also fast to take off and do again (i'll accidentally touch magnet to polish about once a hand)

    And it's really only about 10 seconds per nail to hold the magnet there, and it doesn't have to be all that perfectly still either.

    The big thing for me was that it's all pretty expensive usually, but I've acquired four magnetic polishes (and magnets totaling four different designs), all on sale at my local Sally Beauty Supply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!

    I will do some investigation into base and top coats. :) Not sure if I'll be investing in the magnetic polishes any time soon, I'll have to set a budget for this blog and maybe then I'll figure out if I can fit it in. :)

    ReplyDelete