Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Statement Nail

The statement nail - one nail that is accented with a different color, more intricacy, or more bling than the other ones - has been trendy for a while now. So much so that some folks have already moved on to the statement toenail. At the moment I'm wearing a very old school, classic, and classy red on my toes, so my "statements" have been confined to my ten upper digits.

Is there a right or wrong finger to pick as your statement? I am really curious what others' thoughts on this are. I have chosen to make all different nails stand out, and here's what I think:

Thumb - Good, but only as a sort of side-kick statement. Having all nine (or eight) other nails one way and one or both of the thumbs a different way might make it look like you forgot about them while you were painting your nails and not like you made a conscious choice for them to stand out. Thumbs already stand out. It's part of what makes us human.

Pointer finger - Bottom of the barrel in terms of a statement choice. My pointers usually get the most wear, so it's like drawing attention to the most-likely-to-chip nail. Also it sort of subtly feels like you're always pointing things out.

Middle finger - In the past (like, way in the past, think summer camp in the mid-90's) I've had people take a statement middle finger in the wrong way: a veiled f-you to everyone I meet. This is less likely of a reaction for me to get as a friendly thirty-something than it was as an angsty, baby-tee wearing teen, and I've done it this week.

I think statement nails tend to work particularly well when they are tied in with the rest of the manicure, as this solid gold statement on top of a gold-tipped French does.

What do you think, does it still seem like I'm flipping you off? I hope not! :)

Ring finger - The most visually appealing and most obvious choice, especially if you've just gotten engaged or are getting married. I tend to highlight my right ring finger, where I wear a claddagh ring my boyfriend got me and not my ringless wedding-band finger.

Pinky - Can come off a little weird because of how unbalanced it is visually, but I think it's a good weird and not a bad weird like the pointer finger. It's like an M Night Shyamalan movie: with an unexpected twist at the end, but less and less interesting the more often you've seen it.

What are your favorite fingers to make a statement with? Do you think statement nails are professional enough to wear to work? Are there any color schemes that work particularly well together? Let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment